Building The IRTS
Day 8 - Placing The Bascule Bridge
By Alfred Barten
In this installment we’ll place the lift bridge that lets the rails cross the river at grade while still permitting river traffic.
1. Add straight sections at each end of section where bridge is to go (Tracks>Advanced menu, Insert spline height ‘I’ tool and Tracks menu, Straighten track ‘B’ tool)
2. Remove center section of tracks where bridge is to go (Tracks menu, Delete track ‘D’ tool)
3. Move bridge into position and Lower topography in bridge area by –19.0 below whatever track is set at (0.0 in our case) – bridge is not vertically adjustable, so you have to adjust ground upon which it is sitting (Objects menu, Move object ‘M’ tool and Topography menu, Use Height ‘H’ tool after entering –19.0)
4. Move track points to join bridge (Tracks menu, Move track ‘M’ tool)
5. Raise topo under track portions extending to bridge (Tracks menu, Advanced>Smooth spline height ‘S’ tool)
6. Continue shaping river with plateau set at –19.0 (Topography menu, use Height ‘H’ tool after entering –19.0) (Note: I later discovered –19.75 would have been more exact)
7. Take a test run
That’s all there is to it.
Article and screen shots ©2010 Alfred Barten. All rights reserved.
[Visit the VR Reading Room.]
If you want to be notified when a new article arrives, join the VR-News group at Yahoo. This group is purely for notification. Anyone can join; only the moderator can post.